Friday, July 8, 2011

Anything To Make The Water Taste Better

Now, understand I'm a country girl. I grew up drinking well water and before the collective lot of you recoil in a quick "Ewww!" you have to know that the well water I'm referring to was artesian well water from over 400 feet down in the ground. Yes, artesian. You know the same stuff you buy in the stores for $3 a bottle and ooh and aah over. The only difference is that ours was always free. Yes, FREE! Like straight out of the ground free... if you can imagine. Ok yes so there was probably some sediment in it, and some minerals. Big deal! Here we only have city water. Have you SEEN what floats around in city water?

O.O (I'd gulp with this but I'm too dry right now)

No way I'm drinking that.  Nuh uh, no way no how. Moving to the middle of the Mojave desert* however one thing that becomes very evident very early on is the need for water. Not coke, not koolaid, nothing sweet.. just beautiful, gorgeous, wet, tasteless water. The problem however, is that the city water here is far from tasteless. Oh no and you don't even want to know what it tastes LIKE. Momma would wash my mouth out for saying but lets just say a good long swig of it will have you blurting out the same 4 letter word it tastes like.

Uh huh, knew you were right there with me ;)

In any case, as I was shedding my third layer of dry skin in this heat the thought occurred to me that I could fix the water problem with a good water filter. Great idea! Well a great idea except for one catch. Have you priced those things lately?? A quick trip to Walmart provided not only the pricing, but a convenient pharmacy close for when my heart failed me. What has to be done however, has to be done and we left with a brand new Brita Water Filter system that filters SIX cups of water at one time! I couldn't wait to get it home to try it ^.^

Within a few minutes of getting it home Megan and I wrestled over it (she's used to well water too) and I won, of course, after stuffing her under the cabinet. Quick rinse of the picture and I turned on the tap to allow the sewag..err.. tap water to float through the filter and into the pitcher. The moment of truth had come... would it taste as good as the water back home? I couldn't wait to find out so I poured a big glass... took a big drink.... wallered (that's rolled for your city folks) it around in my mouth and then swallowed.

*gulp*

I thought about it. Rolled my mouth around the flavor again and decided that other than tasting like new plastic, a downside of a new plastic pitcher, at least it didn't tast like $*%&* and I was happy. I have water to drink again that doesn't cost a small fortune and come in a plastic bottle. Now I have a filter that will only cost me a small fortune when I go to buy new filters for it. But hey, at least I'll have the pharmacy to get my heart pills from and half decent tasting water to wash them all down with!


*Disclaimer - not really the middle of the Mojave but Wichita Falls is starting to feel like it with 186** straight days now of heat over 105 degrees, no humidity and every plant in my collection being DEAD!

** Ok not really 186 days but it feels like it!

No comments:

Post a Comment