Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Jack Russell... Terrors? O.o

I first want to apologize for my lack of posts over the last few days. I got some bad news this weekend and it really took the wind out of my writing motivation. I found out that a dear little friend, my sweet Jack Russell Terrier Cookie, died on Saturday and frankly I have crawled into an emotional hole to heal. This blog post is not going to be about Cookie herself, that wound is still way too raw and close to my heart, but as I’ve sat here days and nights thinking it through I went through all the phases from “I’m never going to have another pet get that close to me” to “You know, I might consider another dog at some point” to “I want another JRT puppy”.


Which led me to think about why a JRT in the first place.. hence this blog post.

Jack Russell Terriers are affectionally known among Jack Russell Terrors, come in several varieties, but my favorite is the smooth coat shorty. Stocky little dogs that are smart as a whip, funny as hell, quick as a cat and ferocious as a Rottweiler, they are a great pet. I heard a lot of things about them not making good house dogs and being cat killers, but like any other dog it all comes down to how they are raised and trained. My JRT was excellent in the house, a real couch spud and loved the cats, playing with them often. In fact, if they played too rough she would run away scared.

I am definitely going to be looking for another JRT however. The spot on my pillow is forever empty now where just last week I was planning and looking forward to her being here in Texas with me. I know in my heart though that above anything else, that little dog knew she was loved and she soaked it up and returned it 100 times over. Knowing she is in a better place makes it a bit easier and let’s me think about maybe having another little bundle of energy to share a home with.

For a great little dog with a ton of heart, soul, personality and outright moxie, do check out a Jack Russell Terrier. Also at the same time, check out appropriate training suggestions and lots of exercise for them. Properly trained and cared for they are wonderful companions and very smart little house mates.

No comments:

Post a Comment